Opportunities Available with BUTCH Voices
The BUTCH Voices Board of Directors are currently looking for volunteers to add to the BUTCH Voices Board and the National Conference Steering Committee and Subcommittees. If you’re looking to volunteer time on an ongoing basis and want a specific role on the team, we have a few that are open. Priority will be given to folks identifying with the butch, stud, masculine of center identities, but allies should also feel free to apply. All positions are unpaid and volunteer based.
If you’re interested in serving on the BUTCH Voices Board, you should possess the ability to meet and communicate with our team remotely as our organization is made up of volunteers across the US. We are currently seeking one to three members to join our working board, including one position of Treasurer and two at large positions. Previous experience as a board member for a non-profit organization is helpful, but not mandatory. These masculine of center board candidates must possess the skills of timely communication, respect across differences, and a deep level of racial and gender justice. Priority to Black and Indigenous People of Color (BIPOC) who are excited about the work and mission of BUTCH Voices.
- Ensures Board financial policies/procedures are being followed
- Ensure the board understands BC financial reports & fiduciary responsibilities
- Act as a liaison w/ external auditor
- Present Annual Budget/quarterly (P+L – Profit & Loss Summaries)
- Monitor Budget
- One of three points of contact with our fiscal sponsor
We also have multiple BUTCH Voices National Steering Committee positions currently open, including: Accessibility Co-Chair, Sponsor/Vendor Co-Chair, and Youth Outreach Co-Chair. We are currently also seeking volunteers for a Media Team for communications and online projects.
National Conference Steering Committee Opportunities:
Accessibility and Awareness Co-Chair
- Works with Steering Committee to ensure accessibility for all attendees/speakers/performers.
- Works with Conference Chair to ensure balanced and inclusive overall conference program.
- Works with Outreach Chairs to ensure inclusive outreach efforts.
- Works with Outreach/Media and Programming Chairs in reviewing conference program and other materials.
- Works with Registration Chairs to ensure accessibility to registration, both in terms of pre-registration and on-site registration.
- Works with Logistics, Programming, Keynote and Performance Chairs to ensure on-site/venue accessibility. This includes access to session rooms, performance rooms, and facilities, transportation, food, health services and anything else that might be needed.
- Works with Logistics Chair to ensure appropriate signage/directions are available for conference events, sessions etc.
- Works with Steering committee in writing content for the conference and website that will be inclusive and accessible for all.
- Works with Logistics Chair to ensure ADA, gender neutral bathroom and scent free policies are adhered to on-site.
- Works with Logistics to ensure accessible technology for speakers as needed.
- Arranges for interpreters as needed.
- Works directly with attendees/speakers with special needs.
Sponsor & Vendor Co-Chair
- Oversees all sponsorship, fund-raising efforts for donations, sponsors, and vendors for the conference.
- Determines, in conjunction with the steering committee, sponsorship levels and opportunities.
- Responsible for outreach efforts in terms of actively contacting individuals and organizations directly for donations, sponsorships, vendor opportunities.
- Works with Outreach Chairs to spread the word about calls for donations/sponsorships/vendor opportunities to areas that are not being met from the general outreach efforts.
- Receives and reviews vendor submissions. Weed out selections not meeting overall conference theme if necessary.
- Coordinates with Conference Chair in determining final selections.
- Acts as direct point of contact for this area with vendors, sponsors etc both prior to and during the event.
- Works with Logistics and Accessibility Chairs on vendor/sponsor needs on site.
Youth Outreach Co-Chair
- Works with the Outreach Chairs in planning and implementation of the conference Outreach program.
- Identify and contact appropriate community organizations with youth focus.
- Support Programming, Performance, Keynote , Vendor/Sponsor and Volunteer Chairs to spread the word about calls for submissions/performance/vendors to areas that are not being met with proposals from the general calls for submissions.
- Works with Sponsor/Vendor Chairs to spread the word about calls for donations/sponsorships/vendor opportunities to areas that are not being met from the general outreach efforts.
Media Team’s tasks (Reports to the Conference Chair)
- Responsible for completing tasks relating to the website, social media, and emails.
- Design components for print and web using BUTCH Voices branding standard colors, fonts, and logos.
- Respond promptly and keep in contact.
- Available for last-minute tasks and able to complete assignments within 24-48 hours.
- Timely and efficient, hard working, able to take direction and ask for clarification, able to work in a team environment digitally from a home office.
- Reliable internet access, computer access; some HTML skills, WordPress, CMS, text editing.
- Photoshop, and graphic design skills are a plus.
- Keen eye for detail.
How to Apply and More Information
Prior experience in the role is helpful, but not always necessary. Time involved in each position is variable with a minimum of 5-10 hours per month in an off planning period increasing during the height of conference planning.
Some benefits of being a volunteer team member of BUTCH Voices include:
- increased connections to community members.
- being part of a great team in the national Butch movement.
- opportunities to get experience in various facets in community activism and event planning.