BUTCH Voices Portland
2010 Regional Conference October 2nd
9am – 6pm
Portland State University
1825 SW Broadway
Portland, OR 97201
Registration: $20 Regular $10 Student and Limited Income
Includes lunch and FREE admission to Conference Events with the exception of SweLL and Love Hurts
SweLL Performance – Friday October 1st – $12 in advance, $15 at the door
*Separate entrance fee from conference registration*
Love Hurts – Friday October 1st – $10 in advance, $15 at the door – RSVP Required.
*Separate entrance fee from conference registration*
The far north west needs to be heard!!! Portland, OR will host one of four BUTCH Voices Regional Conferences in 2010. Last year’s ground-breaking BUTCH Voices conference brought together hundreds of self identified Butches, Studs, Aggressives and other similar identified folks, as well as many allies for conversation, workshops, entertainment, and good ol’ fashioned butch bonding. The Queer Resource Center at Portland State University is co-sponsoring this event. The Organizing Committee for BUTCH Voices Portland is working hard to bring you an amazing weekend!
Our hope for the BUTCH Voices Portland Regional Conference is to provide a similar, regionally-focused event with the same awesome, open spirit and attitude. We will also be including substantial programming around health and wellness.
BUTCH Voices Portland Regional Conference, as every BUTCH Voices event, is open to attendees all along the gender spectrum with our same focus on inclusion and diversity.
We are woman-identified Butches. We are trans-masculine Studs. We are faggot-identified Aggressives. We are noun Butches, adjective Studs and pronoun-shunning Aggressives. We are she, he, hy, ze, zie and hir. We are you, and we are me. The point is, we don’t decide who is Butch, Stud or Aggressive. You get to decide for yourself.
We are thankful for our sponsors who are helping to make BUTCH Voices Portland a successful and accessible event. Please click here to support our Sponsors.
Join us for three Fundraiser events leading up to the conference.
**Conference Weekend At A Glance**
Thursday, September 30th
The BUTCH Voices Portland Regional Conference kicks off with our opening night art exhibition at Portland’s LGBTQ Resource Center, Q Center, on Thursday, September 30th at 6pm. Artists from all over the Pacific Northwest region will be highlighted in a month long art exhibit, curated by Jay Walls. Live music featuring a reunion of Portland’s all-womyn percussion troupe, The Rhythm Givers, with special guests.
–SweLL: So The Story Goes – exclusive Portland performance by Ivan E. Coyote, Lyndell Montgomery, and Anna Camilleri at the Smith Memorial Student Union Ballroom, Portland State Univeristy. Doors at 7:00pm, showtime at 7:30pm Ticket not included with conference registration. ASL interpretation provided by DHOR. $Tickets $12 in advance, $15 at the door.
SweLL is: Ivan E Coyote, Anna Camilleri, Lyndell Montgomery.
“They tell home stories. Queer tales. True, except when they’re not. Stories that swell and implode the spaces between cultural institutions and queer landscapes; between female and male; between tightly produced performance and kitchen table talk.”
- Love Hurts – BUTCH Voices Edition
Portland’s Queer, Sexy, F*cked Up, Kinky, Playful Party Ticket not included with conference registration 9pm – location near downtown Portland. RSVP Required by contacting Sophia St James firstname.lastname@example.org Location and details given to paid attendees only. $10 in advance, $15 at the door
Saturday October 2nd
– Conference workshops and panels on a variety of topics all day – including a Keynote address by Kathleen Saadat – on campus at PSU at the Smith Memorial Student Union from 9am to 6pm. Check out our Workshops and Presenters– topics range from Butch Porn, Transfemale Butchness, Two-Spirits, Genderqueer, Middle Class Butches, Dismantling Racism and Transphobia and more! Special event Butch Photo Project taking place throughout the day by internationally recognized photo-based artist SD (Shaira) Holman. Conference registration opens at 8am for onsite. Register online in advance to avoid the line! ASL interpretation provided by DHOR. View the workshop schedule here.
– BUTCH BUFFET – A bevy of Butches for the Saturday night performance showcase at the Hawthorne Theater. Doors at 8pm, show at 9pm. AN ALL AGES SHOW! Showcase will include Ivan E Coyote, Lyndell Montgomery, Anna Camilleri, and fresh from her national television debut on America’s Got Talent, Portland’s own Sally Cohn. ASL interpretation provided by DHOR. Your conference wristband gets you in free, otherwise it’s $10 in advance, or $12 at the door. Check out the AMAZING lineup!
– BUTCH Dessert – Be sure to leave room for dessert! After feasting on the buffet, it’s time for some sweet fun and dancing at the Egyptian Club. DJ Action Slacks will be serving up vintage soul & other treats!
Sunday, October 3rd
– Gender/Queer – Afternoon spoken word and art showcase at In Other Words emceed by Sossity Chiricuzio of Dirty Queer and Diesel Femme Wear and Wares from 2pm to 5pm. ASL interpretation provided by DHOR. Gender/Queer Roster.
DHOR will be providing ASL interpretation throughout the conference weekend with the help from their EAASL program. This program makes it possible for accessible service to be provided by American Sign Language Interpreters at community events/workshops/activities.
Any accessibility requests should be directed to us via email BVPortland2010@gmail.com as soon as possible to help us provide accommodations where necessary. Please view our Accessibility and Awareness page for more information on the venues we are using and for Portland in general.
Volunteers are needed for a variety of tasks. People wanting to participate in the BUTCH Voices Portland Regional Conference can also email BVPortland2010@gmail.com with their interest and questions.
For attendees traveling and needing a place to stay, we’ve arranged two options for hotel room stays:
First we have a room block with The University Hotel & Conference Center. The hotel is only blocks away from the conference location on campus at Portland State University. The BUTCH Voices Portland Conference room rate is $89 per night, and there is also a parking charge of $12 per day. More information and to reserve here.
Can’t afford the host hotel, and need a place to stay for BUTCH Voices Portland? Looking for a roommate or a rideshare? Have a guest room or couch to lend out to a conference attendee? Willing to share a ride to or from an event? Contact Aj at email@example.com.
Sponsorship packages are available as well as pricing to advertise in the BUTCH Voices Portland Regional Conference program. Limited space is available for vendors and resource tables. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Interactive campus map for Portland State University.